Ok, I'm finally getting around to posting something. I am a military wife living in Okinawa, Japan. We have been here for about a year and a half, and have another 2 and a half to go. I love living in Okinawa, and love sharing the culture and my experiences with others. So you will see a lot of that here on my blog. This is our second time living in Okinawa, the first time being Dec. 1990-Dec. 1993. My youngest child, Alex, was born here. He is 16 now.
Okinawa is an island, the largest in the chain of Islands known as the Ryukyu Islands. It is 67 miles long, and anywhere from 2-12 miles long. It is bordered on one side by the pacific ocean, and the East China Sea on the other. Although Okinawa is a part of Japan, their customs and traditions are influenced by a lot of the Asian countries. It is a very colorful and beautiful culture. The Okinawan people are a very friendly and happy people. They are also a very proud people. The crime rate here is very, very low, and unfortunately most of the crimes committed here are carried out by American Servicemen which doesn't reflect well on America. Although the island is very small, there is a LOT to do here. The children's parks here are amazing, and during the summer months you can find a festival of some sort somewhere on the island every weekend. These usually include traditional dancing, drumming, and singing. I love learning about the traditional celebrations and will be sharing some of them here as they occur.
I guess that's all for now, will post more later!!
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Welcome to the world of blogging,Gwen!
Sounds so interesting, Gwen! Can't wait to read more and see some photos.
Post a Comment